Bahija dances with pure joy!
Improvisations and choreographies, modern styles and ancient influences, from baladi to shaabi, Bahija embodies so many facets of the beauty and joy that is Egyptian dance. Now located in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, this spellbinding dancer offers family-friendly Middle-Eastern dance performances and instruction.
Dance Experience, study and performance
Special Occasion performances - ongoing
- many years of weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, christenings, retirements, business and corporate events (feel free to contact me for more details or to book your event)
- cultural celebrations and performances: Lebanese, Egyptian, Iraqi, Greek (see video tab)
- classroom celebrations for elementary, secondary, and adult ESL audiences
Featured performer, Mediterranean restaurant
- 2 yrs weekly performance at Koutouki / Real Greek / Mediterranno restaurant, Saskatoon, Canada
Folkfest annual multicultural festival, Saskatoon, Canada
- Greek Pavillion, multiple performances over 3 days annually including working with live band, 7 yrs
study: Middle Eastern folkloric styles, mainly Egyptian (Banat Mazin, Bedouin, Fellahi, Ghawazee, Saiidi, shamadan, Khaleegi, Nubian, Melaya Leff, Shaabi), including modern and Golden Age oriental
- 18yrs of study and performance with DancEgypt Dance Co, Saskatoon
- extensive study with Denise Enan, Sahra Saeeda, Hadia and others
- workshops with Karim Nagy, Tito, Mohammed Shahin, Faten Salama, Ava Fleming, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, Aziza, Cassandra Shore, Suhaila Salimpour, Nath Keo, Suzy, Jamilee Abir and Ariellah, Yasmina Amal, among others
- current study with Sandra Li Bellydance, Windsor ON
Middle Eastern / ATS / Tribal Fusion styles / cabaret
- 2 yrs performance and study with Desert Beats Belly Dance, Saskatoon
Fire dance (palm candles, torches, fans, staff, some poi)
- 1yr study and performance with Durga Dance, Saskatoon
Shimmy Mob worldwide dance event, 3 yrs
History: ballet 13 yrs, jazz 5 yrs, modern 2 yrs, lyrical 2 yrs, some hip hop and breakdance, some ballroom
Dance Teaching Experience
Offering Bellydance classes since 2002, to beginner and intermediate levels, to participants ages 8-78+. Focus: low-impact fitness, musical and cultural sensitivity, improvisational skills, and fun!
Private lessons also available - contact me!
Dance Classes on 3 nights a week in Windsor 2018!
Check "events" tab for more info
Workshops Belly Dance:
Featured instructor at Great Lakes Belly Dance Convention in Lansing, MI annually in November - improvisation and creativity
Headline instructor at weekend intensive "Shiver and Shimmy": folkloric styles, body awareness, musical sensitivity, improvisation Regina SK, April 2014
Guest teaching Bellydance at different local groups: DancEgypt, Desert Beats, City of Martensville, City of Windsor, Newcomers
Workshops Liturgical Dance: various churches in Saskatoon area, on demand
Photographer: Lambie Photography